As we settle in to the New Year, now is the perfect time to reflect on the things that we can let go of in 2022. This may also be a good time to allow your body a chance to let go of what it has been holding on to through detoxification. Regular detoxification is important for your physical, mental and emotional health.
The primary organ of detoxification is the liver which filters our blood. In fact, 1/4 of total blood volume passes through the liver every minute. It also stores glucose for energy, breaks down steroid hormones, produces/secretes bile (fat digestion), and plays a major role in Phase I and II detoxification. Many medical practices around the world also believe that the liver is where anger is stored. For all these reasons, taking good care of your liver is a must.
Acupressure points that support the liver:
- Liver 3 – located at top of foot in the indentation between big toe and second toe
- Large Intestine 4 – located at fleshy point between thumb and index finger. Circle from right to left- clockwise. This point may also aid headaches and nausea.
Tips for liver detoxification:
- Lemon water/ Lemon essential oil
- Stick to whole foods and avoid processed ones
- Drink lots of water (half a gallon or more per day for most individuals)
- Yoga and Meditation (for body and mind)
- Quiet time: Don’t underestimate the power of staring off into space! Your mind needs a rest sometimes. Instead of constant problem solving and planning, allow it to wander once in a while . Take an impromptu savasana during your lunch break at work.
- Remove chemicals from your cleaning and body care products: Use essential oils for cleaning and body care. I also recommend Beauty Counter for make-up products.
- Mental detox: Be mindful of negative thoughts.
- Mantras: Examples of mantras:
- “I am happy, healthy and whole.”
- “Sat Nam (Truth is my identity)”
- Detox bath: 1/2 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup epsom salts.
- Infrared Sauna: Get rid of toxins by sweating them out.
If you’d like something more intense, make an appointment to discuss whether a more dramatic detox would be appropriate.
Dr. Melanie MacLaren
Dr. Melanie MacLaren is a naturopathic doctor and registered yoga teacher who is passionate about natural health and the individualized needs of each of her clients.
Call 317-818-1800 to learn more about Dr. Melanie or request an appointment.